Friday, June 09, 2006

Another One falls prey to reservation

So finally I booked my ticket to say: Mama, I am coming home(ooh i Love Ozzy u know)”. But before mama breaks into a broad smile seeing her dear child in front of
Her, the child could see a faint smile playing on his face. Yeah child was me and smile, quite ironical my seat was not confirmed and I was in RAC.
Ok chap but that never is a reason to smile, right. Now face the fury of Mother Nature in a Non AC second class sleeper and that too waiting to lap up a seat.
What’s so funny about it? Any sensible person would admonish me and ask the same. Well suddenly the whole reservation hoopla seemed so relevant.
How do you feel to be an unreserved passenger in this world reserved for certain people? Yeah I felt the anguish, you would when you anticipate you’re being tossed around being tagged “UNRESERVED”. But still I managed a faint smile, being tossed around in a train is nothing when you know journey is for 36 hours and your agony would come to an end. And who knows you may still manage a seat courtesy some fellow passenger. My anguish is nothing compared to multitude of people who had dared to dream. Remember “I am young, I too have dreams” uttered by Rajeev Gandhi while being a gracious guest at White House.

True I may not be a casualty and thinking of posterity is something too much to ask. Yeah I have a lil sister and I do wish the best for her.
I worry for her and thousands of people stuck in a quagmire. But for God’s sake hunger strikes and suicide attempts are cowardly attempts and tell me whom would it benefit anyway. Strangely media too is ignoring what is turning out to be a burning issue. Media has been reduced to P3 reporters who would write pages about a celebrity dog wandering away and dear o dear celebrity shedding tears for her pyara kutta, coz it would make a chatpata news . People would pop their eyes out to read scandals and gossips. Link ups, break ups, phone calls and MMS have become much more important for media. And why not these stories sell like hot cakes. And now you have people like Rahul Mahajan hogging lime light. Shame on you so called source of restoring public conscience blah blah you media.

But I am an eternal optimist. Young people are good enough to bring back sanity to this mad world called India.
I sincerely hope they would succeed. Let all of us contribute in whatever part we can, and rather than remaining isolated and doing a hunger strike better we indulge in some meaningful talk. Bring ‘em to table and rationalize the matter. Let sanity and wisdom prevail here. World is going to be a better place for you and for me and for everyone else around us. Lobbying is the need of hour, put the pressure back on them, they won’t listen to these hunger strikes and all.

No comments: