Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sorcerers of World Cup Soccer


World Cup Soccer fever is beginning to catch on. Bleary eyed, I give a cursory glance at newpaper and only pleasant news which peeps out is the buzzing excitement awaiting the unveiling of Mega Show. All those histories and trivia related to WC soccer have surreptitiously managed to reach back pages of my morning newspaper
Oh so when did I see the first WC match , whoa no one would believe that it was at a very tender age when I saw Denmark vs Uruguay match in 1986 world cup.
I did not know soccer at all. Hmm let me recollect oh yyes I was there ‘coz my dear brother(My devil Cousin forced me to watch the match) and he asked me “Kyon rinku kya lagta hai kaun jeetega “ and poor me I did not know ABC of football and here I was asked to predict an outcome. He made the hydra headed looking problem simpler. “DekhDenmark ek goal se aage hai matlab who jeet raha hai, ab bol”. Now it was quite easy, “whoa Danes will snatch it away”, I blabbered . My Bro played along”ah right you seem to be right, since you don’t have much idea of soccer I will settle for Uruguay ok”.He said. “Why not” I jumped for joy. What I did not know that Danes were not equal to Uruguay , so indicated the history. But Danes, the underdogs(who won 1992 Euro Final too as an underdog), shocked Uruguay , they pumped 5 goals and letting only one in and so it was wonderful encouragement to my fledgling soccer following.
Well I remember few rushes of 1990 world cup, Careca,Shilachi, Cannegia, Mattahues ,Linekar , Milla and above all Diego Maradona. Well I am unabashed supported of Argentina and I think there were couple of matches to cherish in Italia 1990.
One was the big one Argentina Vs Italy. Two giants locked in a pulsating battle.
Italy drew first blood Shilachi getting better of Goykoshiva(donno if spelling is correct)
But Cannagia drew level in second half letting the ball squeeze past Walter Zenga who made a world record of remaining unconquered at goal post for longest duration.
Finally it all boiled down to Penalty Shootouts and Goykoshiva did it again, whoa Argentina managed to put it past Italy.Made it to final but lost it to Germans, Andres Breheme ‘s penalty could not be stopped by Goykoshiva and WC was lost.
That referee from Uruguay is still much cursed in Argentine households.
Well Maradona Refused to shake Hands with FIFA President and superhero limped out.
Ah 1994 was a damp squib, Brazilians won but they played pretty unlike Brazilians.
Carlos Parreira Team made it to the top with Dunga proudly holding aloft the much coveted trophy but it hardly enthused a soccer fan like me. Bulgaria was the emerging tem of this WC , shocking Germans en route to world cup semifinal where they were stopped by Baggio’s brace. Italy once again lost the cup courtesy penalty shootouts.
Something which they dubiously repeated four years down the line against France .
Oh Now enough for now the French and their zizzou deserve a separate chapter.
Signing it off for now, promising more on zizzou who did what Platini could not, letting les bleus kiss the WC trophy.

No comments: