Monday, October 02, 2006

My Tryst With TNS

Well that was my first week at hollowed campus of IIFT. I was still coming to grips with the harsh reality unleashed on me and yeah as still very much grappling with those archaic ways of entertainment for oh so esteemed seniors all in name of PDP. Euphemism at its best.. Always wanted to scream PDP PDP so many crimes committed in thy name, but who wanted to face the glare. Not that I hated ragging , ah loved it so much while in college , incentives were higher you know, get ragged for an year and keep ragging for next three years , gorging on plight of poor futtchas.

But life back here at IIFT was not all colorless and predictable. Some people gave us full value for money. Yeah I was still 5 days old at IIFT n another regular class was scheduled for 9 in morning. Ok no getting away from the date, 22nd of July and subject was POM , as always had no idea of the subject nor I wanted to put my brainy cells under any kind of undue stress. I took my seat in the class and started looking around mapping recently learnt names to their faces, another exercise a precursor to those horrible PDPs

And then came the man. An oldie, ah I discovered telling my self, won’t bother us much would mint some money from college coffers and would throw some benevolent smiles at us. But it was few of those times when my impression was there to be thrown down with utter disdain. Man known as Sindhwani, TN Sindhwani (I prefer calling him TNS) was made of sterner stuff. After initial exchange of niceties man was damn on target.

TNS comes to class with that well burnished pair of glasses and gives a hard stare to class.
Lecture on ethics, morals and values favorite bunkers for true scoundrels I tell myself.
Wilde said “One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards”, so it’s all case of convenience and ease else prize out that dirty word from your dictionary. Hmm me learnt it hard way at a company known to be citadel of virtues and ethics, leave it it’s all ‘bout lovable TNS anyways. Yeah man stole the thunder leaving a few infuriating, a few sulking and rest relishing the drama. Remember two or there names in my vicinity (not neighbors really saikat n ruhani go Scot free) they advocated those values of ethics with so passion huh their ethics lay tattered in very first few weeks. That’s ok I just went bonkers over TNS because of his forthrightness. I loved him the way he discussed those seemingly uncomfortable subjects always ensuring even murky subjects and ensuing heated debates tickled us down the line.

Is the man overweening?? Arrogant?? Well carefully weaved exteriors showed it that way, but man was extremely gentle. Never really gave a dressing down if someone got caught napping there were enough Chawlas and Pukris to take care of such small things out man was made for bigger things. All he would mutter” beta sit like a man, that’s least expected of you “or “go and wash off your face” unless you caught him in a real fowl mood you were never going to be shown the door in his class

To be honest I always took pride in observing people and have a great accuracy in this particular art but failed in assessing this particular species known as TNS, failed pathetically at assessment reassessment and all those postmortem activities, still boy did I ever complaint. I enjoyed each single argument I relished each of those emotions surfacing on dear mates’ countenance. Some feelings of disgust, some of pain and some of plain appreciation when some one has hypnotized you with the utmost ease..

“Angrezi mat bolo beta” was perhaps TNS’s patented shot. And ah how can one forget “Speak for yourself “one. All gems really so when ever I had to speak I had to consciously convert those ones into I’s really a tough ask. It deterred many from uttering nonsensical stuff and eased the pain for hapless ones who were hammered consistently in other classes. Come to think of it, in all other classes it seemed my furtive glances at the watch hardly helped , it alwayas seemed that time refused to budge , Einstein and his theory of relativity soon became my pet nemesis . But come to think of TNS and his magical classes time just flew away with some kind of wings.



Come the last class, TNS’s swansong and it was time to part. Showing chivalry as he had shown in other classes, man is as gentle as they come, He asks for our feedback on him and as expected we all surrender to his irresistible charms and just stop short of screaming “wish we could have more of you”.

Yeah sir I am not prone to speaking English at this particular moment(rather I am scribbling the same Queen’s language) and ah I am speaking all for myself , though all those affable heads(all forty-seven of em) would nod for you and your genialness . Do I need to put them in words, I am pretty bad at it , hopeless in giving compliments (even when i feel like givin it all away) and you don’t need one . Still let me proclaim it TNS I would miss you and your chic(ah style I mean).”Wish I kept running into you more n more” Amen!!!!

8 comments:

anar said...

interesting!! - heard just too much about ur blogs so was forced to read it.

you surely do make IIFT sound as on one hell of Indian Institute of FOREVER TORTURE.

well written tho, with a little bit of editing i think it will get the crisp crunch that it lacks

Ruchir said...

Thnax fyre,
get the point rite maan, never intended 2 project IIFT as any kind of torture thing. . i'll be churning out more soon :)

anar said...

HAH! know u never meant to project it to be the torture.. i guess it was just a ramble off the way i heard about the where and how much u write !! - u do tend to get lot of the ff'ing becz of dis! - will read the rest of it.. and revert!!

Ruchir said...

Thanx Lostworld.. but fyre keeps cribbin...

Ruchir said...

n yeah i think i can mail him. papers must hve been evaluated by now rite ;)

Anonymous said...

well u know i crib about the writing and not the man (i cant say a word about, dun know him)

besides there has to be someone who will crib while the other praises!! - just trying to keep u on the right track!!

Ruchir said...

thanx even i luv gettin into arguments.

Anonymous said...

hmmm me too waiting for some more.. but the blog seems to be stuck on my Pretty Yawny topic..