Sunday, May 18, 2008

Signing in Chennai

While listening to “Bavra mann dekhne chala ek sapna” I am writing another blog. There is something about this song which calms me. It makes me inherently happy, something which is difficult to be explained.

By this time I am pretty much settled in my cozy cocoon at Chennai. I still remember when I checked my email, a beaming mail from Company people was there right at the top of my inbox. The mail read “Dear Ruchir, please report to our Chennai office on 28th of April. I would be bluffing if I said I took it sportingly, to be honest I was lost for words for few seconds . The only solace was that business unit was of my choice and biggest of them all ;mail was floated on 1st of April. April 1, Fools’ Day. I sincerely hoped they have just pulled a fast on me. “May be it is just a friendly banter to ensure better employee-employer relationship” I wished.

But whole Fools’ day expectation belied any hopes as soon Companywallahs made clear that they still are not funny guys and they prefer going about their business sans pranks.

And I ended up at Chennai, sweltering heat welcomed me and Autowallahs helped me in shedding some wallet weight. First week at office was less about work and more about rules and policies that company frame and employees are expected to obey. If I put my thinking caps on , a lot many such rules sound obsolete and many have glaring loopholes , but frankly I give a damn. I still feel few years down the line I want to be one in human resources, nourishing and retaining talent, shaping them lovingly and tenderly so that they put their best foot forward for the company . In lighter vein if that would be difficult I would adopt a child and shape up his/her future.

As it has been a recurring nightmare for any nomadic person (and I have been an inherent one) first ten days were invested in house hunting. Chasing down “Ek mahal ho Sapnon ka” is a tough ask, it is spelt “TOUGHER” when you are in a bit orthodox city called Chennai. You are expected to be married, have a family, better if you are a south Indian Ayer. Well too many conditions and pre conditions. All such conditions act as filter and probability of finding a decent shelter quickly diminishes. Well you can manage one if you wash your eternal sins (not descending from a south Indian Ayer Family and not being married) with some extra bucks. Well money still rules and still has power to win over all thy perceived sins.

House hunting may cause serious problems . You end up scanning real estate magazines and sites. You compile a list of phone numbers with each name “Ramesh”, “Bala”, “Laxmi” preceded by a BROKER, just to ensure brokers’ names aren’t mixed up with ohers’names. Think of it; my boss’s name and one of broker’s names is same. You can think of funny scenarios if I muddle up in identifying them. House hunting is a psychological task, you play a “Tug of War” with these brokers and potential land lords. You try to maximize your gains while reducing your losses ( Read household amenities and rent/advance respectively ). This particular game has done great to boost my morale and wonders to my confidence as more often than not I found myself on top in these haggling games. Annoying patience, diplomacy, calmness and flexibity are important traits to get better grades in such a game. “Your two years of MBA really wasn’t wasted dude”, was first thing that comes to the mind. Finally we got hold of a good house courtesy “Delhi Da Puttar” Sunny, one of the friendliest and charming guy I have met at Chennai.

Now something over “Chennai: the city “. All I can say is that city has excellent infrastructure. To me , it is second to the national capital lovely Delhi. An excellent transport system is in place. Buses ply neatly and timely on the roads of Chennai. They even have a local train service in place. Roads are very well done, neatly asphalted and traffic c wise it looks heaven if you have seen Bangalore/Kolkata. True, Autowallahs are stigma to the city, perhaps worst I have witnessed in the city.

Cool hangouts? Well till now I fail to fathom these words. I may be a boring person and may not be an expert on listing out cool and hep places of the city, but I can safely vouch for city’s doling nice places of shopping and entertainment to its habitants. Malls are there, Discs are there, Pubs are there, They have excellent tradition of art and culture, so cribber should be kept in check.

After reflecting enough on positives of the city, it’s high time I dig deep and see some negatives too. All good things may soon fizzle out if city doesn’t change its ways . I have visited all southern states and I can still say Chennai is still most unfriendly towards drifting people, specially if they are from the wrong side of Vindhyas (Read north Indian people). Better they learn to be friendly and start respecting cultural differences and show a little more tolerance towards those who do things bit differently.

Mumbai still remains the dream city for those migrating for greener pastures. City embraces nomadics in its arms and let them be their own. This single attitude towards wandering or floating people is biggest contributor to Mumbai’s vast economic growth. All this reminds me of Keynesian model of Economics, ones I had learnt in those economics classes that how money spent by Government has a multiplier effect on growth of economy. I would love to extend this facet of economy to say that migratory public is pretty much similar to the Government and money spent by them too has multiplier effect. They spend more for their basic amenities and thus end up creating more jobs/more opportunities for the local people; leading to enviable growth of the city. Chennai needs to learn this fundamental concept of Economics from Mumbai. While Mumbai too needs to beef up these basic facts Rogue students of Economics la Raj Thakre should either be told to improve their basics or should be banished.

Tomorrow is Sunday and i have a date with beeches of Chennai , right at the dawn. At this hour reaching the beach at six in morning sounds ludicrous but would try and hence this one has to come to a sudden end...................



3 comments:

lostworld_me said...

You have fallen for the place alright dude!! Whether you like it or not :D

Regarding the infrastructure...come and check out Dilli post the BRT Debacle...I think CHennai might just be one-up on infrastructure at the moment...

Anonymous said...

Mysore is emerging as Bangalore’s twin city. New industrial hubs have developed in the city and real estate transactions are on the rise.

For more details on Bangalore Properties, log on to magicbricks.com

Maverick said...

u never said anythin abt the climate there buddy!!!

and food...

and women...

or they arent in ur priority list?

dont know abt the former two but the latter?! :-D