Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Some Old Tragic Characters

Just continuing from where I left. Yeah I said I was going through an old poem. A poem call it rather poetry on Mahabharata . And he asks ‘Who is your favorite character?”. “Karna” I blurt out and he readily agrees.

My favorite two characters in world of History are Karna and Brutus. Pretty much similar they thought. Both good people who ended up on wrong side. Both wonderful people who were used and abused, but did they ever compromised on their dignity.

Both big idiots with capital I. if I have to write Mahabharata , I would never let a disguised Krishna beg for karna’s kavhca-Kundal , something which ensured Karna too joined ranks of mere mortals. Yes finally Karna could be cruelly killed. Krishna ensures , Karna knows it but embrace that ghastly death Karna all in name of keeping your solemn word. Rest as they say is history.

And what about Brutus?? Someone who stabbed his own greatest friend . Brutus was Caesar’s great friend whether sentiments were returned by Caesar , I have my own doubts.

“Et tu , Brute”? yeah it makes Caesar a hero, who was dead not because Cassius and kaska’s instruments were very fine tuned but he died because he could not take a half hearted faint strike from dear friend Brutus. I feel connotation may be slightly different. Caesar was too ambitious to have many good friends around him, he was simply surprised too see a fool Brutus go against him, Brutus does not have courage and mind to go against me , he will back me against his conscience , a complacent Caesar must have thought. Brutus made a mess of it by allowing Mark Antony to make a heartrending speech. “Friends , Romans , Countrymen Lend me your ears, I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him”…….. and Destiny is sealed forever. Why on Brutus ever did that ? he knew that glib is forte of Antony. And “Brutus is an honorable man” was sarcasm at its best that too for a man who was certainly chivalrous and honorable. Portia don’t need to come and support her husband I guess.

But as has been said , Destiny is cruel and may be the genuinely meek will never inherit the earth. “O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,”

3 comments:

anar said...

quite a thing.. should have done the comparision of the two chracters a bit more would have been fun to read that.. infact i read through the entire piece thinking you were going to discuss them.

so are you on a path to brutality?

Ruchir said...

I am flattered. Someone scours whole internet to see this page once in a while. whole thing took place thanx 2 shashank n poem which sent me on a trip down the memory lane.

Ruchir said...

And about comparison thing. was very much on mind but by the time i wrote of cunning n shrewd Antony, I just kind of turned off and thought to end it like this.