Sunday, December 31, 2006

Justice meted out to delhi girls


I have been away from Delhi, but Delhi seldom away from me. Bleary eyed me, rubbing my eyes to get used to morning splendor and first thing I used to get was the taste of the capital. Whether it was sheepish glance at Day’s paper irreverently hurled by the vendor to my living room or a slight wink at the idiot box churning out news through its irrepressible newscasters, everyone has something new to offer, a new flavor of the old Capital. Delhi sneezed and pneumonia was palpable here in my drawing room.

It was political centre with all big shots yearning for a sound byte, it was fashion centre with Bals and Beris all flaunting their Delhi origins, it was livewire for journalism with stylish, suave and bearded Pranov leading the pack of fourth estate.

So proverb “Delhi is far away “(Abhi dilli door hai) was a sweet contradiction for me with me pocketing enough information on Delhi as part of my daily rituals.

But all was not hunk dory about Delhi. Far from that city sent shivers down my young spine at a very impressionable age. Bihar was bad, painted with a tarry brush but Delhi scored no better with spiraling crimes it boasted of. My god how do they manage in city which they show off as dilwalon ki dilli. I had my reservations , Old couple hacked to death, young girl molested, bomb explosion 34 died, not a safe place to venture once sun sets, do I need to put some more. Wow Delhi you never had a magnetic touch on me, a trailor in Lalu’s land is enough who wants to see a full fledged movie, was my usual retort when asked about Delhi.

But this one is not about all gloom that may surround a city. Bleak too should come with a shelf life, one cant continue to dread the hidden monsters for all the life and what a right time to bring some sunshine back in the Capital. Justice delayed is justice denied but in the case of two Delhi girls, delayed it may be yet it was very heart warming.

Delhi courts finally showed the courage to punish mighty ones for their wrong doings. I always associated Delhi with some of blots it had chose to adopt and these two were very much there, very disturbing something which would have perturbed any citizen.

What made Mattoo and Jessica wait so much for Justice can’t be justified, yet it is a pleasure to see for a change few people aren’t more than equals in the law of the land.
May be a certain Sanjeev Nanda is spending few sleepless nights, may be law breakers and assassins of many more budding lives have started suffering from insomnia. May be its Delhi’s turn to change its image, awaiting more wonderful news to pour in dear Dilli.

No comments: