Friday, December 22, 2006

What’s in a name???

Bard of Avon might have believed a rose is a rose with same thorny exteriors, same pinkish petals and above all same sweet smell, people may call it by any name, no one is affected. After all what’s in a name, it is all a package to wrap the content, what matters lies beneath.

Welcome to twenty first century Mr. Shakespeare, it would be an eye opener for you, yeah finally name does matter. A Brett Lee wants to name his child “Sachin” and a Lara names his love child “Sydney “. A certain Tom Cruise names his young princess “Suri”. Slowly but surely names have started to matter. Every name has its own story to reveal.

Well the truth is name gives a lot about the person it is tagged to. Before liking a person I end up liking his/her name. If you have never met him/her, sometimes you end up making mental images of that person. It’s so much fun. To me a name describes a person more of his/her parents’ tastes than his/her own. Names are ridiculous, they are exciting, they are repetitive, they are fresh but they are fun after all they are something pretty much your own yet used by others much more often.

Every name is beautiful but some are more beautiful than others. I have special fascination for names beginning with letters R, A or S. anyway most of Indian names start with these letters, so probability dictates terms in my case I guess. But think of any Indian name sans letter R,A ,S ok add an I to it ,I flounder while thinking of any name .

Tongue firmly in cheek, I would suggest parents to be not to name their born to be starting with an A or with a R,S or M. I learnt it hard way, while scouring mail box for my mails in office (where mails were neatly kept in separate boxes as per each letter of English alphabet), I had big trouble in finding my mails. My plight was shared by say some Shweta, Maneesh and Abhishek .


Ps: hmm so why such a weird topic crept up in my mind. Thanks to Arvacheen and Tulika two youngsters aged 11 and 13 respectively whom I met during journey back home. Name Arvacheen got me stumped and its meaning took some time to sink in. Young boy’s name was great to know though. Tulika was a bubbly girl, charm personified and I didn’t miscue meaning of her name.

5 comments:

Ruchir said...

yeah rite. s?? hw dat cum into eqn??

Unknown said...

well why not? think na...

Ruchir said...

well so many spring 2 my mind. S is the lovellliest ltr of eng alphabet ;)

Unknown said...

i m sure.. completely believe you.. when you think of letters.. those u luv and are involved with obviously come to ur mind before all others...:)

Ruchir said...

very true well even K and a certain M is beautiful